When someone has itchy skin, they often reach for a cortisone cream. This topical cream can work wonders for temporary itching, and many men who have itchy penis will reach for it before trying other things. That can be a problem, as cortisone creams can be bad for the skin on the penis.
When a man has a rash, redness, or itchy penis symptoms, he should remember that the skin on the penis is very sensitive and thin. This means that what you can handle, say, your arm or your leg, will have a different effect when it is on your penis. Using this cream can often result in shiny penile skin that looks waxy and thin. However, there are ways to use cortisone cream without actually damaging the skin, especially if it is used only occasionally.
Cortisone is a topical cream, designed to be used on the skin. It is actually a very low dose of steroids, meant to soothe the skin and heal minor problems, such as a mild rash. But the greatest use of cortisone cream is to relieve itching, especially from allergic conditions. Many people have put a dose of cortisone cream on poison ivy and similar rashes, as well as mosquito bites and other itchy insect bites. They use it for eczema, some forms of psoriasis, and contact dermatitis of all kinds. Cortisone stops the allergic reaction, providing almost instant relief from itching. It lasts from a few minutes to a few hours, depending on the severity of the itch.
Cortisone side effects
In most cases, there are no side effects from the occasional use of cortisone cream. However, those who use excessive amounts of the cream may notice redness and irritation of the skin, or a lightening of the area where the cream was rubbed. This lightening effect is especially true for those with darker skin. The skin can also become thin, making it easier to tear and scrape it. As the skin begins to thin, a burning sensation may occur from adding more cream. Putting a dressing over the area can exacerbate the burning sensation.
How to use cortisone on the skin of the penis
It is important to remember that, to begin with, the skin of the penis is thin and very sensitive. Therefore, any use of cortisone cream should be considered very carefully. When a man chooses to use cortisone cream for penis itching, he should do the following:
– Check with doc. There may be an underlying cause for the itching that can be easily removed with some other more suitable penile medication. Some of the reasons for a rash or itching may not respond to cortisone cream, so this is also good to know before a man starts using anything that can affect the skin on his penis.
– Check the dosage. Always apply as little as possible to cure itching. Start with half the recommended dose in the tube, then work your way up from there.
– Never use it on irritated skin. If there are breaks, cuts, scrapes, or abrasions on the skin, do not use cortisone cream. That allows the cream to penetrate under the skin, which can lead to a severe burning sensation and can lead to other problems as well.
– Use it for a short period of time. If the itching on the penis persists for more than a week, see a doctor. Cortisone may be working when applied, but there is an underlying cause that needs to be treated: a man cannot use cortisone forever!
– Use it without clothes. A man will want to use the cream for a time when he can let the equipment hang freely, as the area needs to breathe. Remember, covering the area can cause all kinds of unwanted side effects.
– Stop scratching yourself. A man’s nails can cause breaks in the skin that lead to infection. If the cortisone doesn’t work, don’t continue to scratch the problem. Go to the doctor as soon as possible and explain that the cortisone has not helped.
– Use a moisturizer. Whether used in conjunction with cortisone cream or after use, a moisturizer can help ensure that the skin on the penis remains supple and smooth regardless of steroid use.
Caring for the skin of the penis
When a man uses cortisone cream, he should also use a high-quality penis health cream. (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil , which is clinically shown to be safe and gentle on the skin). This cream will help protect the skin of the penis through a combination of wonderful ingredients designed to soothe and hydrate.